Cannibal Hiking Trail
Clarens, Free State
Legend has it that a cannibal was active in this area and kept his captives in one of the many caves, where he fed them for later consumption.
The Cannibal Hiking Trail is situated 5km from Clarens on the road to Fouriesburg. It is 280km from both Johannesburg and Bloemfontein, tarred road all the way. We only have MTN signal on the farm.
It is a 2-day hiking trail. The 1st day is 9km and the 2nd day is 7,5km. A walk to the Mushroom Rock adds an optional extension of 2,5km on the 2nd day.
The route takes you through differing landscapes, from stunning mountain views, to river walks, forest ambles to boulder hopping in and along gorges. This beautiful farm is situated in the Rooi and Witte Berg Mountains of the Eastern Free State. This is a hikers' hike, well-marked and provides all the amenities that a hiker demands, with numerous picnic spots, a swimming hole, interesting scenery and a level of hiking that fits the serious hikers but not too strenuous for the beginner hiker. On the 1st day the trail passes 5 overhang caves with rock 'kraals' where there are remains of bushman paintings in some of them. One passes the Batwing Falls on the way.
The 2nd day offers breath-taking views of the Malutis, as well as Mt. Horeb, Woodhouse, Generaalskop, Visierskerf and George's Pimple. Then you will descend and walk through a valley along a mountain stream. The trail to the famous Mushroom Rock is a separate 1½ hour hike and can be done on the way back from the Cannibal Trail.
The 1st night can be spent in one of two dormitories.
Has 8 bunk beds and can sleep 16.
It has 4 toilets and 4 showers.
At the 1st overnight facility we provide a bed and mattress, braai grid, wood, cold and hot water, showers, electricity, an urn, a 2-plate stove, a fridge and 2 large iron pots.
Can sleep up to 30/32 in bunk beds. It has 4 toilets and 4 showers.
The 2nd night is spent in a large cave that can accommodate up to 40 hikers. There are 2 cold water showers and 2 flush toilets. We have had over 90 children sleeping over.
At the cave we provide a mattress, cold running water, a braai grid, kettle and firewood.
Due to Covid 19 we have taken the following precautions: We will allow 16 hikers in the Cottage hut (if the group is familiar with one another) and 16 in the Melkstal. The hikers must be aware that they will share in the Melkstal, because it is much bigger than the Cottage
Yes, this is called slack-packing and must be arranged before arrival. The rate is R80 per item to the cave and R80.00 per item from the cave. Min flate rate of 3 items = R240.00
- At basecamp you may leave the slackpacks on the stoep of the Cottage Hikershut. It will be fetched at 08:00 am sharp!!.
- Slackpacks are left in the storeroom next to the toilets.
- These items will be picked up from this point the following day. No items will be carried into or fetched from the cave.
- There will be a charge of R80 for every item, whether it is a pillow or carry pack of beer. Try therefore to fit loose items into back packs or cooler boxes.
- Items must not be too heavy for one person to load.
Please supply own:
All food, eating and braai utensils, toilet paper, toiletries, sleeping bags, water bottles, sunblock and anything else a hiker may deem necessary.
Bedding and towels.
- R660.00 p/p - Cannibal Trail
- R540.00 p/p - Children U/12
- R300.00 pp.pn - 1 night at basecamp - Adult
- R240.00 pp.pn - 1 night at basecamp - U/12
- R360.00 pp.pn - 1 night in the cave - Adult
- R300.00 pp.pn - 1 night in the cave. – U/12
- R55.00 once off per reservation