Ezemvelo Nature Reserve is the hidden beauty of Gauteng. Located a mere hour’s drive from OR Tambo International airport and 45 minutes from Pretoria, it is easily accessible by all.
The reserve offers an array of comfortable self-catering accommodation types to suite your needs, as well as a wonderful natural experience, with a wide variety of general game and bird species to be seen. Together these make Ezemvelo the perfect place to break away from busy city life.
A wide range of activities are on offer, from fishing to mountain biking, ensuring fun for the whole family.
Day visitors and bookings for weddings, conferences and events are welcome.
Ezemvelo supports green sustainable ecotourism, conservation awareness, and the education of the country’s youth.
Ezemvelo Nature Reserve offers 3 different hiking trails. You will hike through the different habitats of the reserve amongst the game grazing around you. You may get closer to the animals than you would be with your car. Hiking trails will take you where your car can’t go, on top of a kopi or along a nice stream.
- Comfortable shoes, water, binoculars
- Summer: Sunscreen, hat
- Winter: Rain jacket or poncho
- Walk through grassland and small koppie.
- 4km (1h − 1h30)
- Latest start time: summer − 16:30, winter − 15:30
- Walk through grassland, small koppie, rocky area, new burnt area.
- 14.6km (3h30)
- Easy (except for a steep part down a kopie, where the rocks can be loose)
- Latest start time: summer − 15:00, winter − 14:00
- Walk through grassland, small kopie, rocky area, edge of rocky kopie.
- 21km (4h30 − 5h)
- Tough (long and the part North of the reserve on the side of the kopie can be tricky)
- Latest start time: summer − 13:30, winter − 12:30
- Check in time: 14:00
- Check out time: 10:00
- Gate operation:
- Sunday to Thursday: 07:00 – 17:00
- Friday to Saturday: 07:00 – 20:00
- R55.00 pp.pd – Child/Pensioner
- R75.00 pp.pd- Adult
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation.