Hikers will find enjoyment in the interesting combination of gorges, streams and the Highveld plateaus that offer beautiful vistas of the surrounding landscape. The gushing waterfalls, fast-flowing mountain streams, indigenous trees, shrubs, veld flowers and the opportunity to spot several antelope species, bushpigs, members of the cat family and abundant bird life will all add to pleasurable hiking in this area.
The trails start from a base camp. The Kranskloof camp is hidden away in indigenous bush and is built from the local rock. Nearby is a perennial stream where the water cascades to offer an exhilarating shower all year round, while further down the stream has been dammed to form a refreshing pool.
New day trails are being developed including a 6-7 hours relatively strenuous walk for those who like their hiking difficult. At the moment there are three day trails, one of which (the Aloe Trail) takes one to the Komati Gorge Lodge and back. At the Lodge one can visit the bar for an ice cold drink. The first leg of this trail explores some beautiful forest and gives some beautiful views from the heights.
Apart from the Aloe Trail which Visits Komati Gorge Lodge and passes some beautiful view points and involves some steep climbing, there is the Kranskloof Trail which explores the banks of a beautiful stream with rock pools and waterfalls. The Ruins trail is a short walk of about 2 hours and takes the hiker to some fine example of ancient kraals.
- Total number of hikers is 24.
Day trails from Kranskloof:
- Cliff walk 4.5 km and Gulley walk 5 km (These two walks combined makes up one day trail);
- Ruins walk 4 km; and
- Aloe trail 8km.
- 3 huts with 8 beds each;
- Donkey boilers for showers;
- Flushing toilets; and
- 2-plate gas cooker
- Pots, pans and 3 legged potjies,
- Braai facilities and wood.
- Supply own lights;
- Tick repellent;
- During heavy rains, water is released from the Nooitgedacht Dam, flooding the bridges for about an hour. 4×4 vehicles are recommended for access to Kranskloof base camp or sedan vehicles with high axels.
Location of trail:
- 30 km from Carolina;
- 250 km from Gauteng.
- R150.00 per person per day overnight;
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation;
- 20% discount for scholars.