A Jewel of the Magaliesberg
The Uitkyk Trail is easily accessible from Johannesburg and Pretoria. It offers hikers the opportunity to enjoy an exhilarating and rewarding walk in the protected natural area of the Magaliesberg. It is highly recommended by both seasoned hikers and casual walkers who have enjoyed the breath-taking views of the Hartbeespoort Dam and surrounds. Nature lovers enjoy the variety it offers as it passes through woodland, rocky kloofs and over grassy hillsides. The trail starts and ends at a securely fenced car park with flushing toilets and braai areas. A map is provided by Fagala Voet as a guide to both the well-marked route and to the fascinating history, geology, fauna and flora of the area.
Hikers must please take note of the following:
The Apostolic church has some members who come and pray and fast on the mountain on Friday evenings and you may pass them on Saturday morning. As they stay the night they bring plastic sheeting for warmth – they do not live on the mountain. There may also be members of the ZCC church collecting holy water when the river is flowing, they may also sleep over and groups related to the ZCC may perform a purifying ritual here as well and you may pass them on the way up.
Hiking is strictly by pre-booking to ensure safe access and assure hikers that they can experience the solitude and serenity of the mountains.
- In the vicinity of the Hartbeespoort Dam
- 30 km West of Pretoria
- 40 km North of Johannesburg
- ± 9 km
- 4½ – 5½ hours.
- Moderate to challenging with a few optional extreme sections.
- Fenced and locked car park with flushing toilets, water and braai areas (bring own fire wood).
- Always pre-book.
- A dry hike so carry at least 2 liters of water.
- Do not walk over the R513 – use the tunnel.
- Always walk in a party of at least 20 people.
- Please provide own camping chairs and fold up table (braai facilities at car park at start/end of trail)
- R60.00 per person day visitors, minimum of 20 hikers per group
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation.