The Whale Coast Camino
Wild Wellness, Western Cape
The Whale Coast Camino empowers you to truly be at one with nature, crossing two oceans as you walk from the edge of False Bay, following the paths of the ancient Strandlopers (beach walkers) around Cape Agulhas, the Southern tip of Africa. Watch whales and their calves, and an abundance of other marine life in protected marine areas. Allow this beautiful, untamed wilderness to occasionally throw all four seasons at you in a single day, as you mindfully meander through the Cape Fynbos.
‘Your Camino starts the minute you leave your front door.’ Mario, Camino De Santiago guide, Spain.
Duration:20 days / 19 nights
When: On 1st and 15th of most months
Distance: 225 km
Group size: Minimum 10, maximum 24 pilgrims.
SOLO HIKERS, COUPLES, SMALL GROUPS ARE ALL WELCOME. YOU MAY ALSO BOOK THE FULL HIKE.
A Camino traditionally is a mindful experience, where you meander through nature on your own personal journey or pilgrimage.
A pilgrimage is a journey, often into an unknown or foreign place, where a person goes in search of new or expanded meaning about their self, others, nature, or a higher good through the experience. It can lead to a personal transformation, after which the pilgrim returns to their daily life.
This is your walk; you are the pilgrim. Go as you would like to. There are no rules.
If you want to sleep in – sleep in! If you want to go out early and enjoy the route, go for it. If you want to sleep in late and arrive at your next accommodation stop, sleep in late. It does not matter to anyone – other than you!
You walk 225 km (137 miles) in 20 days. that’s an average of 11 km (6.8 miles) per day. Not every day is the same distance, as it depends on where your accommodation is. We pre-book everything for you, are a back-up for you, will cart your luggage for you if you prefer not to carry all your belongings in a backpack, and will let you know in advance what points of interest are in the days ahead of you, as well as activities so that we can book them for you. We have a leader and a sweeper out each day, to be there if you would like. They are the guardians of the Camino, always around – but never in your space.
We have partnered with carefully selected accommodation establishments in unique locations along the Camino.
These include 3-star bed breakfasts, self-catering units or upmarket backpackers. Often, there are shared bathrooms.
Should you prefer a private suite with a private bathroom, you are welcome to upgrade.
Linen, bath towels, shampoo and liquid soap is always at the accommodation stops for you.
We provide a healthy breakfast daily, with coffee and teas. Included is a fully inclusive welcome dinner, farewell dinner, plus two lunches at incredible places of interest in the Strandloper’s life. All other lunches and dinners are up to you. You will receive a map which clearly marks restaurants and supermarkets en-route, so that you can grab a bite and find a beautiful bench or place to eat casually or spend time at a restaurant. On the nights that your accommodation is in remote locations (i.e.: beautiful beach stops with only your fellow pilgrims with you), a nutritious and delicious meal, fresh breads and salads made by Nutmegs Kitchen will be available. All dietary requirements are catered for, and drinks will be supplied. This is for your account.
As a pilgrim traditionally you carry all your personal clothing and personal items for your Camino, in a rucksack, on your back. Not everybody can – or wants to do this. So we have included a portage service that will transport your luggage daily between your accommodation stops, should you prefer.
What is included?
- Airport transfers to and from Cape Town International Airport at start and end of your Camino.
- 19 night’s accommodation.
- Daily maps with your accommodation, points of interest, restaurants, supermarkets and a wealth of information on the Strandlopers, fynbos, marine and birdlife and so much more.
- A leader at the front and a sweeper at the back of the group, as the Camino Guardians. They are there to guide you and impart knowledge of the area if you would like. They are not there to initiate conversations or interrupt your journey. Remember, this is YOUR Camino, not a guided walk.
- A personalised ‘Camino enhancement’ welcome kit.
- All breakfasts, coffees, and teas.
- A comprehensive packing list, appropriate for the time of year that you will be walking.
- Two all-inclusive restaurant meals en-route, which are historical and meaningful on the walk of the Strandloper.
- An all-inclusive welcome and a farewell dinner.
- Full vehicle backup support.
- All park, conservation, and bookings fees.
- About 225 kilometres!
What is excluded?
- Any items of a personal nature.
- Laundry (facilities are available at some stops en-route, we will tell you where)
- Drinks and refreshments.
- All activities listed below.
- All lunches and dinners, other than what is listed above.
- Cartage of your luggage.
- Emergency evacuations and related costs.
- Additional transport
- Cell phone data en-route (we will help advise)
- Additional accommodation if you wish to extend your Camino.
- Accommodation upgrades.
- Gear rentals:
- 28 litre daypack with bladder (R600)
- 50 litre rucksacks (R1200)
- Trekking poles (R350 per set)
Let us know if you would like to partake in any of the below activities, and we will book it for you!
Adventure activities (dependent on weather, season and availability)
- Boat based whale watching.
- Sundowner cruises
- Sea kayaking
- A visit to an abalone farm
- Fat bike riding on a beach
- Horse riding on a wine farm or on a beach
- Shark cage diving
- Quad biking
- Kite surfing rentals or lessons
- Zip lining
- Wine tours and tastings
- Scuba diving
- A night with fire dancing and drumming on a beach
- Yoga or pilates classes
- All spa treatments
- R 1 400.00 per person / per day sharing if you hike in 2023.
- R 1 600.00 per person / per day sharing from January 2024.
- A 30% deposit secures your place and is payable within one week of making your booking. The balance is payable in full, one month prior to your start date.
- For bookings made within the month before your start date, the full amount will be due upon booking.
- R55.00 once off per reservation
The Whale Coast Camino