Pondo Trail 4 Day
Pondoland, Eastern Cape
Slackpacking is a new way of hiking the wonderful terrains of the world! In simpler terms, Slack-Packing is an assisted way of hiking where you have a host who carries the burden of your equipment, takes care of your possessions and set up your overnight camps for you.
We will transport your bags to our remote venues, organise all the meals and make sure there is nice cold beers at the venue each day while you just hike, relax and take in the beauty of Pondoland.
See the Cape Vulture Colony at Msikaba, 2 of the 7 waterfalls in the world that fall directly into the sea, Waves crashing against the rocks and the Cathedral Peak Rock standing out from the sea.
Pondo 4 day hike (5 nights) is fully catered hike in the Northern Transkei from Msikaba towards Port St Johns where you will hike 65km over 4 days in an unspoiled area of the Eastern Cape.
The untamed Transkei is in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa and lies just outside of East London. It is an almost forgotten part of the country that seems to function at its own pace and without modern day influences. Many tourists and locals visit the Transkei as it provides a unique experience that cannot be found anywhere else in the country.
One of the sites on the way to the start is the Cape Vulture Colony just above Msikaba. Despite the extent of subsistence farmland in Africa, little is known about endangered species that persist within them. The Cape Vulture (Gyps coprotheres) is regionally endangered in southern Africa and at least 20% of the population breeds in the subsistence farmland area previously known as the Transkei in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
This hike is from Mskaba to Port St Johns. The hike will take you on an exploration of the Wild Coast in Transkei, South Africa. You will see the Cape Vulture Colony at Msikaba, 2 of the 7 waterfalls in the world that fall directly into the sea, Waves crashing against the rocks and the Cathedral Peak Rock standing out from the sea and many more. Experience the birth place of Nelson Mandela, hike on cattle tracks above the cliffs with dramatic rocks and caves below and experience the culture of the Xhosa when walking through the friendly villages along the way. This is an experience not to be missed.
- Seeing 2 of the 7 waterfalls in the world that fall directly into the sea
- Seeing Cathedral rock and many other amazing sights
- 4 days of unforgettable hiking along the wild coast
- 5 nights accommodation and meals
- Hiking on cliff paths and secluded beaches
- Local guides
- Safe parking at Port St Johns
- Transport from Port St Johns to Mskaba to the start by Taxi
- Sightseeing of the awesome Cape Vulture colony (more than 100 birds) on the way to Msikaba
- Accommodation for 5 nights in either a lodge or tented chalet with en suite bathroom
- 3 meals per day
- Transport of your gear to finishing venue each day
- Sundowner snacks each day
- Medical and emergency services on standby
- Generosity and great atmosphere
- Transport to and from Port St Johns, Transkei, Eastern Cape
- Massage at Mbotyi River Lodge
- Any other extras
As a precaution, we would like you to carry the following compulsory equipment with you during the hike. It is for your own personal safety. Please adhere to the following:
- Cell phone;
- Zip Lock bag to keep phone dry;
- Space blanket;
- Long Thermal base layer (pants and top);
- Emergency food;
- Water bottles;
- Sunscreen (SPF50);
- Outer shell jacket (waterproof); and
- Small first aid kit.
- Day 1 – Arrive at Port St Johns – Spotted Grunter
- Day 2 – 9km – Msikaba to Lambazi.Flat with no elevation, on cattle tracks and short beach sections.
- Day 3 – 26km – Lambazi to Mbotyi.
- Leg 1 – 9km. Flat with little elevation
- Leg 2 – 16km. 4km flat, 8km rolling hills and cliff paths, followed by beach section.
- Day 4 – Mbotyi to Ntafufu – 18km
- Leg 1 – 9km. Steep grassy hills with amazing views and river crossing.
- Leg 2 – 9km. Steep grassy hills with amazing views and one river crossing.
- Day 5 – 13km – Ntafufu to Port St Johns One steep hill, followed by rolling hills and 4km flat beach section.
- 11 – 15 July 2024
- 17 – 22 July 2024
- 10 hikers or more
- R11 900.00 pp – sharing
- R13 900.00 pp – single
- Limited to 20 people
Customized dates less than 10 hikers:
- R14 400.00 pp – sharing
- R16 400.00 pp – single
- R55.00 once off per reservation