Blue Wildebeest Hiking Trail and Self-Catering Accommodation
Blue Wildebeest Hiking Trail is a hiker’s, nature lovers and Eco tourist’s dream. Situated 10km outside Badplaas (Emanzana), Mpumalanga, just 3 hours’ drive from Johannesburg and Pretoria and 1 hour from Nelspruit, you will find the Blue Wildebeest Hiking Trail and self-catering accommodation.
It is a two-day base camp trail, meaning that you spend both your nights at the house where you park your vehicle. This spectacular trial passes through pristine grassland, up unspoilt mountain ridges, down gorges, past beautiful streams, waterfalls, natural rock pools, awesome rock formations and ancient ruins. Along the trial you will come across a variety of antelope and birds. Both the first- and second-day’s hike brings you to the mountain top with splendid panoramic views of the whole Badplaas valley. There is an abundance of indigenous fauna and flora. At night you can enjoy the beauty of millions of stars and the calls of jackals in the distance and owls in the trees around the house. The route is clearly marked and clean and can be enjoyed by young and old.
The thatched stone cottage has 12 beds, is very neat and comfortable and although there is no electricity, warm water for the showers and kitchen is provided by means of a donkey geyser. The caretaker on the premises will make sure that there is always hot water. There is a bathroom in the house with a shower and basin and a separate toilet. Outside there is another separate ablution facility with a shower, basin and toilet. Cooking is usually done in the big adjacent lapa where there is a big braai area.
Blue wildebeest hiking trail:
- Accommodates up to 12 hikers/visitors.
Length of trail, degree of difficulty:
- Two-day trails from central base camp.
- Day 1: 9,5km – Easy to average.
- Day 2: 6,5km – Average to difficult.
- Thatched stone cottage.
- 12 beds with mattresses.
- Hot water for kitchen and bathrooms (donkey fired geyser).
- 2 showers and 2 toilets.
Kitchen facilities available:
- 2 plate gas stove.
- Candle holders.
- Black, three legged, cast iron pots, various sizes, also flat bottom.
- Cooking pots and pans, various sizes.
- Glasses, mugs, plates, cutlery, crockery, egg lifters etc.
- Braai tongs, braai grid, hinged braai grid.
- Kettles for use on gas stove.
- Camp chairs, 3 tables.
- Wood for the braai is provided in reasonable quantities. Own charcoal is advisable since the wattle wood used, doesn’t make enough coals for a big braai.
- Weather patterns can be variable.
- There is a fire danger in winter.
- You enter the trail at your own risk.
- The caretaker will make sure there is hot water in the donkey geyser.
- Cell phone reception in some spots around the house and at the gate, variable.
- Bring own gas bottle with standard Cadac fitting for use with two plate gas stove.
Location of Trail:
- 10 km from Badplaas
- 300 km from Gauteng
What You Should Remember to Bring With You:
- Own lighting – candles, matches, camp lights, gas lamps, torches, headlamps etc.
- Own gas bottle with standard Cadac-fitting for gas stove.
- Food and drinks.
- Bedding (fitted sheets/sheets and duvets/sleeping bags) for single beds and pillows (mattresses x 12 provided).
- Matches and firelighters for the braai.
- Toilet paper and toiletries, air freshener for the toilets.
- Swimwear and swim towels.
- Hats and hiking shoes.
- Camera, binoculars.
- Dishwashing liquid, sponges and dish cloths.
- Cooler boxes to keep food and drinks cold.
- Emergency kit / medicine.
- Charcoal – there is Wattle wood available for the braai, but it doesn’t make nice coals.
- The water on the farm is safe and clean to drink, although it is a slight brown colour due to staining from plant roots in the water source. If preferred, you can bring your own drinking water.
- Dishwashing liquid, dish cloths and sponges for dishes
Cell Phone Reception:
- At gate and various spots near the house.
- R220.00 pp.pn – Adult
- R180.00 pp.pn – U/12
- R320.0 pp – Adult – 1 Night Booking
- R260.00 pp – U/12 – 1 Night Booking
- R100.00 pp – Day Visitors – Adult
- Children U/2 free of charge
- R55.00 once off admin fee per reservation.
Blue Wildebeest Hiking