Langberg Breakaway and Hiking Trails
Vrede, Free State
Experience the beauty and hospitality of the Eastern Free State, at Langberg Breakaway (Vrede). Here, embraced by the exquisite Langberg mountain lies the secret to a weekend of equitation. Langberg Breakaway offers a variety of facilities in one of the most accessible (150km from Gauteng) and tranquil retreats in the heart of the Highveld.
Visitors can enjoy trout fishing in well stocked dams or a yellowfish adventure in the “Spruit Sonder Drift”.
You could also experience the indigenous bird life, wildflowers and small game on one of the two safe but challenging hiking trails (8km & 14km).
There are two hiking trails that set out from the old Horse Stable one mountain route and a wetlands route with an abundance of birdlife.
Day 1 (14 km) Takes you into the majestic Langberg with its Kloof/ravine areas where indigenous trees, shrubs and flowers thrive. This trail takes you past interesting sandstone formations. Interesting sight to be viewed on the trail would be the bushman paintings, paints sight (see where paint for traditional huts come from), the waenhuis (coach house), fossil sight and a visit to the cave.
Day 2 (8 km) Is a relaxing walk-through grasslands and along the Spruit Sonder Drift, which runs for approximately 4 km through the farm.
Die Stal / Barn – Situated near the main House
This renovated old barn with its old-age feel is the ideal facility for larger groups. The Stal facilities are ideal for family, birthdays, celebrations and companies. Lounge, dining table, pub area downstairs, with hearth, fireplace and fridge. Electricity
Lower Level: Two rooms each with a double bed and En-Suite bathroom
Upper Level: Two rooms each with two single beds per room.
One room with three single beds.
The Stal is equipped with the following:
- All beds with linen (down duvets and towels)
- Eskom Power
- Braai area
- Indoor fireplace
- Cutlery & crockery
- Fridge and deep freeze.
Caution sandstone is slippery in wet weather conditions.
Wood for sale. Bring your own charcoal:
Additional ablutions: 2 showers, toilets and basins.
PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH FIRES
Location of trail:
- 15 km from Vrede,
- 200 km from Gauteng
- 400 km from Bloemfontein.
Min 2 night’s stay
- R300.00 pp.pn
- R55.00 admin fee once off per reservation.
Rules and Regulations:
The owners accept no responsibility for any death, injuries or illness sustained or suffered by any person or loss to any property, occurring within or arising from a visit to this property whatever the cause may be even if it seems to be as a result of the negligence of the owners or any of their workers or equipment, services or out of any manner or cause whatsoever.
- Please do not litter.
- Fires are only allowed at the two camps and strict precautions must be taken to prevent runaway fires.
- Hikers must adhere strictly to the trail. No shortcuts are allowed.
- No game, animals or birds are to be disturbed.
- No vegetation, dry plant material, wood or stones may be removed or disturbed.
- No pets are allowed.
- No servants will be allowed.
- Defacing the rock faces or carving your initials in trees etc. are strictly forbidden.
- Appreciate nature as an inheritance and leave it unspoilt for future generations.
- We expect all visitors to respect hikers by their dress code and behaviour.
- Right of admission reserved.