Strandloper Hiking Trail
Kei Mouth, Eastern Cape
BASIC HIKING TRAIL WITH BACKPACKS NO GUIDES)
***NO DOGS/PETS ALLOWED***
Beach, Sand, Krantze, Rocky areas. Boulders, Pebbles, Shingle, Deep Sand, Goat Paths, etc. Minimum five river crossings – wear closed sand shoes or old takkies for river crossings – don’t cross in your hiking boots, don’t cross at the mouth of the rivers.
IF YOU CANNOT SWIM PLEASE BRING A LIFE JACKET OR A FLOATING DEVICE TO CROSS RIVERS AND NOMINATE A SWIMMER IN YOUR GROUP TO ASSIST YOU IN THE RIVER CROSSINGS.
Approximately 59 kms 3 nights and 4 days
4 Minimum and 12 maximum. In season and out of season
08h30 a.m. – Briefing Enviro Centre in Kei Mouth by Trail Manager
Distances to Hike:
- First Day is 13 kms from Kei Mouth to Double Mouth
- Second Day is 9 kms from Double Mouth to Haga Haga
- Third day is 22 kms from Haga Haga to Beacon Valley
- Fourth Day is 15 kms from Beacon Valley to Gonubie
- Warm months with rain: Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April
- Cool months: May, June, July. Warm days, cool nights, less wind or rain. Sleeping bags and track suits for the evenings.
- Cool with wind and rain: August, September, October, November.
- Best months to hike – May, June and July
- Average annual temperature is 22 degrees
- Latest departure from Gonubie or East London to Kei Mouth is 14h00
- TIDEWATERS Transport Services/Accommodation
- Deon 082 463 7524 email@example.com
- DYLAN LEES – Shuttle Service – 082 825 0624
- Gonubie Shuttle – Tracy – 083 528 8663
- Imonti Tours – Velile – firstname.lastname@example.org
- 083 487 8975 email@example.com
BEFORE THE HIKE – ENVIRO CENTRE KEI MOUTH:
Kei Mouth Enviro Centre Dormitory accommodation in rooms with a kitchen and ablutions – R150 per person (to be banked with hiking fees) – basic accommodation with ablutions, braai with grid and wood, electricity, and parking.
As we are not on site, please let us know what time you will be arriving to sleep at our dormitory in Kei Mouth.
Double Mouth – Log Cabin – Tap water – flush loo – use of ablutions in Double Mouth Caravan Park
- Wood for braai is kept in a locker.
- You will pay for the wood for Double Mouth at your briefing (R40) and receive a key for a locker. You can also purchase Caps R 120 or Badges R 40 Maps R 30
Haga Haga Hotel – 2 rooms with showers and toilets 6 bunks in each room (Dog Box 1 and Dog Box 2) – no braai Pub lunch or takeaway from hotel.
Beacon Valley – Settlers’ Cottage – rainwater tanks – long drop – cold shower and basin – braai and grid – wood is kept in a crate in the overnight. Pay for wood at briefing (R40)
Strictly no access to private property vehicular or otherwise
PLEASE NOTE THAT ON 25TH NOVEMBER 2012 THE OVERNIGHT CABIN AT CAPE HENDERSON BURNT DOWN.
HAGA HAGA HOTEL HAS KINDLY GIVEN US TWO SPACIOUS ROOMS WITH SHOWERS AND TOILETS EN SUITE TO USE UNTIL WE ARE ABLE TO REBUILD.
12 bunks and 12 vinyl covered mattresses, 12 plastic chairs, mirror, sheltered braai with grid – Rainwater tanks, flush toilet, long drop, enamel kettle, bucket, broom, plastic dish NO CUTLERY, CROCKERY OR LINEN!!
No electricity at Double Mouth or Beacon Valley. Electricity at Enviro Centre and Haga Haga Hotel. Bring headlights, candles and matches. (Charge your cell phones at hotels or restaurants along the way).
Hotels, shops and bottle stores at villages halfway between huts. (plus minus lunch time) take aways or pub lunches. Rainwater tanks at villages and at overnights.
Sturdy backpack, hiking stick, hiking boots, shorts, t-shirts, underclothes, socks, hat, windbreaker, water bottle, sunblock, rain poncho, track suit, sleeping bag, rockies/strops/crocs or old closed takkies for river crossings, 30m thin nylon rope & survival bag for backpack for river crossings, A children’s blow up tube to float across rivers, basic cooking/eating utensils, small gaz stove/cooker, torch/candles, matches, swimming costume, towels, toilet paper, chronic medication, vaseline, plasters, firelighters.
No age restrictions (recommended 7 years and older)
Parents to be aware that the terrain changes constantly along the coast – from rocky – to Rock shelf – to grass – to goat paths – to shingle beaches – to sandy beaches.
Trail Day by Day:
Depending on the season there could be up to 7 river crossings and the depth of water is determined by the tides. Out of the rainy season maximum of 4 river crossings. Quko, Kwenxura, Kwelera and Gonubie.
Day 1: Beach walk and grass pathways to Double Mouth via Morgan Bay
Day 2: First section rocky to Quko River then sandy beaches, goat paths and short rocky area and beaches to Haga Haga Hotel.
Day 3: First section 8 kms rocky shelf/shingle beaches and then 14 kms lovely sandy beaches to Beacon Valley
Day 4: First section to Kwelerha River – sandy beaches
Second section to Gonubie River rocky and pebble beaches
Carry minimum – fruit, water, snacks, breakfast goodies. You can have pub lunches, take-aways or purchase meat and groceries at village shops and hotels between overnight huts. Seal all foodstuffs, clothes, and valuables such as cameras, wallets, spectacles, cel phones, etc, in plastic bags.
All details to your group leader. Carry your medical card with you in case of emergency evacuation. Does your medical aid cover helicopter evacuation?
Doctor in Morgan Bay Dr Torch Dalgleish 043 8311239 A/H or 082 659 8491 on weekends.
Dr only available between 9 and 10 am on weekdays. Book an appointment
Access to huts:
NO VEHICULAR ACCESS TO BEACON VALLEY TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED!
Banks or ATM’s:
- Credit card facilities at hotels, etc.
- ATM’s at some shops along the way
Very safe trail. Emergency evacuation procedure in place. A survival bag is recommended for river crossings to keep your pack dry.
Gonubie Hotel,hand in overnight keys at reception please.
Just outside Kei Mouth:
- You can Google Benmore Lodge Self Catering– 043 8411 550
- The Cock-Inn B & B – 083 651 4119
In Kei Mouth:
- The Thatches Self Catering – 043 8411102
- Neptune’s Cove self catering on the beach – 043 8411473
- Kei Mouth Guest Lodge and Backpackers – 082 567 0972
- Camping: Kei Mouth 043 8411 004/058
- Camping: Morgan Bay 043 8411062
- Morgan Bay Backpackers (076 981 3322) – Corlia
- B & B: Morgan Bay – Biddy Mann “Double View” Tel: 082 562 3340 sleeps eight e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Turn Inn” – B & B Morgan Bay – Peter and Maureen Turner email@example.com – 082 783 9940
- Self Catering in Morgan Bay – On the lagoon – Sleeps 6 Call Lindsay Forrester at 043 8411 396 or Alan at 082 808 0268.
The following are also B & B’s or self catering accommodations in Gonubie that you can phone or google.
- Porkies – 084 675 2495
- Happy’s Place – 043 740 0122
- Blue Waters Hotel – 043 740 2019
- Gonubie Hotel – 043 740 4010
- Gonubie Sun – 043 740 4507
- Ocean Dreams – 043 740 5509
- Seaside Holiday Apartments -082 927 6987
- Seaside also rent out houses
- Sandpiper – 043 740 5833
- The Guinea Feather – 082 568 2274
- The Crowned Crane – 082 568 2274
- The Nest
- Grande Vista
- 93 on Main
If you are Hungry:
- Die Agterplaas – Fishermans’ Den – Sanet 082 487 8324 or 078 720 2120
- River Café Kei Mouth Country Club 043 8411 083
- Tracy’s Place (Kei Mouth Guest Lodge) pizzas and take aways and sit down meals 084 685 5588 Kei Mouth
- Bushpig Pub and Grub 073 726 9322 Kei Mouth
- Savemor Spar 043 8411 244 Kei Mouth
- Mitford Hotel 078 868 4208 Morgan Bay
- Yellowwood Forest 084 582 2601 Morgan Bay
- Dede 072 479 6408 Morgan Bay
- The Deck 043 8411 062 Morgan Bay Hotel
R850.00 – 3 Night Hike
Enviro Centre dormitory overnight at the base camp in Kei Mouth R 150 per person for the night before you hike.
Double Mouth: From 1st April 2022 Eastern Cape Parks Board levy of R44-00 pp CARD ONLY to be paid at the office at Double Mouth when you arrive at Double Mouth Overnight
- R55.00 – once off per reservation
Strandloper Hiking Trail